You may have heard that AI is a threat to your job but how about making AI your ally in job hunt? Yes. You can use ChatGPT for resume writing and save hours of hard work!
According to a survey conducted by Resumebuider.com, out of 1,000 candidates,
- 46% reported using ChatGPT for resume writing
- 70% said that they get a better response on AI-generated resumes than non-AI resumes
- And 59% were hired
Can you see how powerful ChatGPT can be if used correctly? ChatGPT can help you write resumes in just a few minutes, and it’s free.
Let’s deep dive into how ChatGPT can help you make your resume-building process a breeze.
Disclaimer: If you are planning to write a resume or cover letter with the help of a ChatGPT, make sure you have a good understanding of how to write these documents. After all, your resume will be the first thing that your potential employer will see, so don’t just rely on it; make sure to add your personal touch because only that will make your resume stand out from the other candidates.
Importance of a Strong Resume
Before we delve into how ChatGPT will help you create your resume, let’s first understand why a strong resume is important and how it can create results.
As mentioned before, your resume is the first thing that your potential employer will see, and it’s a reflection of your professional identity. So it should be a strong document that conveys your brand, highlights your key skills and experience, and draws attention to the specific job that you’re looking for.
Tips to make your resume more powerful:-
- Use professional formatting
- Organize your information effectively
- Quantify your achievements
- Add relevant accomplishments and skills
- Include keywords
- Keep it concise
Best ways to get the most out of ChatGPT for resume writing
It’s important to understand that the better you use ChatGPT, the better you will be able to get results.
Here are some helpful resume-writing tips that will bring effective results:
- Set clear goals – Before using ChatGPT, set clear goals and define your resume objectives. This will help ChatGPT provide more relevant information and suggestions for your resume.
- Be specific – Be as clear as possible when asking anything from ChatGPT. Be specific with your instructions, tone, and requirements. This way, ChatGPT can deliver precise results.
- Provide as much information as possible – When giving prompts to ChatGPTt, provide as much information as possible to help ChatGPTt create a more effective and tailored resume for your needs.
- Ask questions for clarification – Pretend to be ChatGPT as your conversation buddy. Ask questions, doubts, clarifications, and reasons, or you can even exchange feedback. This will help you generate even more personalized and better content for your resume.
- Proofread – While ChatGPT will provide you with all the necessary information and suggestions make sure to proofread the provided content by checking grammar, formatting, tone, and structure.
Prompts for Resume Writing
But how can ChatGPT do so much with such little input? The answer lies in what input you give it. These inputs are called prompts, and the more specific and to the point the prompts will be, the better the output or result will be.
Let’s take a look at some great prompts to supercharge the results:
Prompts for using ChatGPT to create a resume from scratch
When you are creating a resume from scratch, it’s important to provide as much relevant information as possible in detail with a specific tone, requirements, and word count. This will make sure that your resume is engaging and specific to the job you are applying for.
ChatGPT prompts to use:
- Write a resume of 400 words for a [title] based on this job description. [copy/paste the job description.] in a professional tone.
- Write a resume based on this [title] position at [company] and include bullet point achievements that show impact and metrics. [copy/paste the job description.]
- Based on this job description for this [job title], write a resume for my past years of work experience with 3-5 bullet points per role that include quantifiable results and the most important 10 keywords from the job description. My past responsibilities and companies were [x,y,z].
Prompts for using ChatGPT to update resume
If you have already created a resume but are not receiving any responses, then it’s likely that you are missing out on important resume parts. It’s time to update your resume with more specific and relevant information that describes your qualifications and makes you the best candidate for the role
ChatGPT prompts to use:
- I am providing my resume and want you to act as a reviewer and provide feedback on it. How can I make it more readable or scannable? Are there any action verbs I can use to make my content more powerful?
- I am providing you with the job description for a position that I am applying for. Please understand the key points and requirements for this role and summarize them. Then review my resume and provide feedback on how to tailor it for this job.
Prompts to tailor resume as per the job description
Not tailoring your resume according to the job description is one of the primary reasons why your resume doesn’t get noticed. Adding irrelevant details that don’t align with the job requirements is a big turn-off. So it’s extremely important to thoroughly check the job requirements and highlight the skills, qualifications, and capabilities that are primarily needed.
Tailoring your resume according to the job description makes your resume more noticeable and increases the chances of you getting hired.
ChatGPT prompts to use for resume writing:
- Please rewrite my current resume according to this job description at [company]. Include quantifying achievements that make me a right candidate for this position.
- Using the resume and job description below, showcase 10 relevant skills I should highlight. [copy/paste your current resume and the job description.]
- Tailor my resume to this [job description] for a [job title] role at [company]
Prompts to create killer bullet points
Bullet points are a great way to improve the readability and scalability of your resume. They can be used to efficiently highlight the key points of your resume, which will enhance the overall impact of your resume.
ChatGPT prompts to use:
- Create bullet points for my most recent [insert job title] role that showcases my achievements and impact.
- Generate bullet points highlighting my experience in [insert relevant job function/task].
- Write bullet points demonstrating my ability to [insert relevant skill/achievement].
- Create bullet points that emphasize my successes in [insert relevant project/initiative].
- Generate bullet points that showcase my ability to [insert relevant soft skills, e.g., teamwork, communication, etc.].
Prompts to write a winning summary section
Hiring managers receive hundreds or even thousands of applications each week, so summary sections are a big-time savior for them. So, create a winning summary section by highlighting your qualifications, skills, experience, and key strengths that will provide hiring managers with a clear idea about you.
ChatGPT prompts to use:
- Create a summary that showcases my skills and qualifications for [job title] role.
- Write a summary demonstrating my abilities to [relevant skill/achievement].
- Draft a summary that emphasizes my USP and sets me apart from other candidates.
- Write a summary that showcases my achievement and how I’ve made a difference in the past.
- Create a summary that emphasizes my achievements in [relevant job/ project]
Prompts to finalize the resume
Now that your resume is ready, it’s time to finalize and optimize it. So before you submit your resume, make sure you have given the given prompts to see if there is room for improvement and optimize your resume for ATS and human recruiters.
ChatGPT prompts to use:
- Please review my resume and suggest any improvements or edits to make this even more strong.
- What can I do to make my resume stand out from other candidates and increase my chances of getting selected?
- How can I make my resume more concise and to the point that the interviewer will love?
- Can you suggest some ways to tailor my resume to specific job postings that make me a perfect fit for the role?
Pros and Cons of using ChatGPT for Resume Building
By understanding ChatGPT, anyone can access a wealth of information, make their work easier, and open the door to unlimited opportunities. However, like any tool, there are some cons that exist. So before you start building your resume with ChatGPT, let’s take a look at their pros and cons.
Pros of using ChatGPT for resume writing:
You can use ChatGPT to help you create a great resume in just a few minutes, which will save you a lot of time and effort and will help you to invest more time in job preparation.
- Free and easy to use
ChatGPT is a free and easily accessible tool that anyone can use anytime from anywhere and craft an excellent resume.
With the right prompts, suggestions, and relevant keyword phrases, you can improve the overall quality of your resume and craft it in an interesting, captivating way that stands out from the other candidates.
- Tailored resume
One of the best ways to stand out from the crowd is by submitting a tailored resume for each job. However, it’s very difficult to tailor a resume for every job when you are applying for several jobs. With ChatGPT, it’s just a matter of a few minutes, and voila! You get a tailored and updated resume.
- Builds your confidence
When an AI creates your resume, it will be more powerful and customised than what you can create on your own. This will help candidates by providing guidance and support which will help them stay focused and confident during the resume-writing process.
Cons of using ChatGPT for resume writing:
- Limited knowledge
Because of its lack of knowledge of the world and the rapidly changing technological landscape after 2021, it may generate inaccurate or old statements.
- Generic information
Nothing can be worse than just copy paste the entire content without proofreading or adding any kind of personalization. Sometimes ChatGPT produces vague or generic information which can drop the quality of the resume.
- Lack of human judgment
There’s no doubt that ChatGPT or any other AI tool can’t do what a human mind can. Without a solid foundation of critical thinking and human tone, there’s always room for the human touch to transform the AI-generated content even more powerfully.
- Dependents on the quality of prompts
With generic input or prompts, you’ll receive generic output. So, ChatGPT totally depends upon what you enter.
Can the employer identify that your resume was created by ChatGPT?
While there is no conclusive answer, there are tools that can determine whether a resume was prepared using ChatGPT or other AI models. But, interviewers are unlikely to manually review each resume for AI-generated content.
However, it is crucial to remember that just copying and pasting the content from ChatGPT is not advised. To make your CV stand out, we recommend including a personal touch, including your own experiences, and improving readability using bullet points.
You can create a resume that shows your qualifications and highlights your unique qualities by putting your own statements and uniqueness into it.
While landing a job can be time consuming process, why wait to earn? Dive into Digital Marketing freelancing opportunities. Not sure how to? We have covered it all for you in this blog.
While ChatGPT is a great tool for writing resumes or cover letters, it doesn’t replace the human element. You need to proofread and polish your resume before submitting it.
Make ChatGPT your assistance, not your replacement.
Remember that the effectiveness of ChatGPT is dependent on the quality of the prompts you offer. But if done correctly, it can do magic for you.
So what are you waiting for?
Start exploring more of ChatGPT and create an exceptional resume today.