It’s a dream come true for many to work in the sector of digital marketing. To become a successful digital marketing professional, you’ll need a lot of effort and time, but it’s one of the most rewarding jobs in the online marketing industry. But, first and foremost, what exactly is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is a type of marketing that involves promoting things over the internet. While It’s also referred to as online marketing, digital marketing, however, does still include channels and mediums that are tech-based but not internet-based. This would cover all channels, such as text messages, television, phone calls, on-hold mobile ring tones, and radio. This essay will concentrate on online, web-based digital marketing. Rather than specialising in one sector, such as SEO (Search Engine Optimization) or PPC (Pay Per Click), since a digital marketing specialist should have a broad range of knowledge in a variety of fields.
So, what does a digital marketing specialist do?
The job responsibilities of a digital marketer include-
1. Creating, executing, and tracking SEO (Search Engine Optimization) campaigns
2. Working on the analysis and optimization of these PPC (Pay-per Click Marketing) campaigns
3. Overlooking content marketing campaigns
4. Efficiently utilizing all social media platforms as marketing channels to increase traffic, popularity and sales.
5. Supervising the team of digital marketers working under them (when in senior or management positions)
6. Organizing and synchronizing all sales campaign initiatives on a digital level
7. Set objectives and track the results of all digital marketing platforms
What are the essentials to become a digital marketer-
1. Obviously, first and foremost some sort of certification. Obtaining actual accreditation in the subject is obviously crucial in any industry. The same may be said of the world of digital marketing. As a result, a recognised certifying board must issue a digital marketing certification.
2. Ability work in team- In every sector, it is critical to be able work as part of a team. As a result, being able to operate as part of a team is essential. Not only that, but professionals in higher positions in the field of digital marketing are frequently required to lead and supervise teams. As a result, it becomes even more critical for those who aspire to higher positions in the sector.
3. Working knowledge of how different types of marketing works- Digital Marketing Specialists work with marketing campaigns in a myriad of fields on a day to day basis. This includes-
a) Email marketing- One of, if not the most common selling tools is email. Even though other forms of social media are on the rise, email marketing is still used by marketers to close sales, generate leads, and communicate with customers. In most marketing sales funnels, email marketing is the final step. All other digital marketing initiatives such as Search Engine Optimisation, pay per click marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, etc. are often used to help produce leads for email marketing, which then converts those leads into sales via a series of targeted emails.
b) SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)- Search Engine Optimisation refer to the technique of increasing the quality and quantity of search engine traffic with reference to a specific website or a web page in order to boost sales and profit. Search Engine Optimisation places emphasis on unpaid and comparatively organic traffic rather than bought or direct traffic.
c) Pay Per Click Marketing- Pay-per-click, sometimes known as PPC, is a method of online marketing in which advertisers pay a charge every time one of their adverts is clicked. Simply put, you only pay for advertising when someone clicks on your ad. It’s simply a way of ‘buying’ internet views, while also increasing organic traffic to your site.
d) Social Media Marketing- The utilisation of social media platforms advertise a product is known as social media marketing. This includes 3 main types of advertising. The primary methods that come under social media marketing include-
● Sponsored ads- Sponsored ads are ads that you pay social media platforms to push. These ads are published on timelines of people who interact with posts with similar content.
● Paying/ Collaborating with influencers and microcelebrities- Many companies often work with famous influencers and microcelebrities, if not actual celebrities. They usually do so by paying influencers to advertise the product, or by sending them packages which they then post and talk about.
● Affiliate Marketing- Companies often hire people who are active on social media to work affiliate marketing for them. This involves giving the affiliate marketers a personalised link that they are required to share. The affiliate marketers then receive a small percentage of all earnings that are made on the products that the aforementioned personalised link leads to.
e) Content Marketing- Content marketing refers to a marketing approach that involves developing and promoting relevant written pieces, videos, podcasts, so on and so forth in order to attract, engage, and retain an audience. This strategy creates expertise, raises brand popularity, and makes sure that your company remains in the forefront of people’s minds when they need to buy what you sell.
4. Working knowledge of data analysis related tools and softwares- There are numerous software programmes and websites that will calculate, report, and collect data for you in relation to your marketing activities. They also analyse these reports to help you do your work more efficiently. As a result, being able to operate efficiently with tools that do so is a vital and useful ability to have. Google Analytics, HubSpot, Facebook Ads Reporting, and others are examples of these technologies.
In addition to this, a very essential trait of someone who specialises in any field is to have current knowledge of the trends in the field at all times. This is also the case with Digital Marketing. In order to thrive in this field, one must be able to approach each assignment with relevant ideas, which can only be done when one knows the current trends. This will help one to flourish and find heights in the field of Digital Marketing.